ST. CLAIRSVILLE - Belmont County Commissioners reviewed issues of roadway and infrastructure during their Wednesday meeting.
A resident of County Road 10, Flushing, noted the continued problem of dust from sand and stone on the road and the increasingly poor road conditions and hazards. Commissioners agreed that the matter needed to be dealt with, but they were looking into the legalities. The problem began with faulty road work by Parnell & Associates for Oxford Mining.
"I'm ashamed of that road. Oxford Mining and Parnell should be very ashamed of the performance that they put on that road. It's absolutely terrible," said Commissioner Matt Coffland. "It's the worst chip and seal I've ever seen."
In other matters, the commissioners submitted their top four potential projects to the Ohio Mid-Eastern Governments Association for review. These include improvements to the Fox-Shannon wastewater treatment plant to mitigate discharge violations and increase capacity for future development; the Ohio Valley Mall Sanitary Sewer lift station and force main replacement project; a Mall Road connector to relieve traffic congestion and provide transportation improvements; and the Belmont County Fairgrounds sewage system installation.
The city of Martins Ferry will also submit three projects.
Other guests pointed out the need for white striping down the center of the roads. Commissioners noted that those operations and their priorities were the responsibility of the county engineer. While funds have been appropriated for the work, weather conditions have delayed such projects.
In other matters, commissioners heard a report from Tourism Director Doc Householder regarding tourism activities in recent months.
In other matters:
- Commissioners motioned to enter into contract with the Community Action Commission for the provision of heating and weatherization service for the 2012 Community Housing Improvement Program.
- Commissioners entered into a grant agreement with the Ohio Office of Community Development for CHIP funds to be administered by Bel-O-Mar Regional Council for a period beginning Sept. 1, 2012 and ending Dec. 31, 2014. Grants total $131,000 and $369,000.
- Commissioners motioned to award a CDBG Village of Belmont sidewalk improvement project to Allison Contracting, LLC for $21,981.50.
- Commissioners entered into a renewal agreement with Maximus Inc., Concord Township, for consulting services in preparing for the 2012 indirect cost allocation plan for $10,000.
- Commissioners motioned to enter into a contract addendum with ACS State and Local Solutions, Inc., DBA, ACS Government Management on behalf of the recorder in order to provide an additional public search station increasing the per document charge from $4 to $4.18 for the remainder of the agreement.
- Probst was authorized to execute a quarterly subgrant report for the sheriff's personal crimes investigator grant of $10,231.66.
- Favede was authorized to execute a pay application of $5,982.20 for engineering services on the Historic Sheriff's Residence.
- Commissioners approved a 50 cent pay increase for Shayla Robinson, building and grounds department.
- Commissioners motioned to enter into a lease agreement with Green Pike LLC for office space at 121 East Main St., St. Clairsville and eight parking spaces for 11 months, Aug. 1, 2012-June 30, 2013. Total annual rent is $30,734 payable in monthly installments of $2,794.
- Commissioners requested the Director of the Sanitary Sewer District certify all delinquent water and sewer rates and changes to the county auditor.
- Commissioners motioned to adopt an addendum to the county's roadway use maintenance agreement concerning prevailing wage compliance and reporting.
Commissioners will re-convene today for an executive session pursuant to personnel exception.
DeFrank can be reached at email@example.com