Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Bomb threat investigation continues

January 5, 2013
By KIM NORTH - Times Leader Staff Writer , Times Leader

BRIDGEPORT - The investigation into the alleged bomb threat at the village Post Office last month is continuing, according to Police Chief Andy Klotz.

"We are going over some phone records and we have some more to be subpoenaed," Klotz said Friday. "We are progressing."

The chief did, however, decline to say whether any suspects have been identified or questioned.

According to Klotz, a bomb threat was called into the post office, located on the corner of South Lincoln Avenue and Howard Street, at approximately 2:35 p.m. on Dec. 27.

Klotz said a male caller phoned the post office and said, "There's a bomb in the post office and no one is to leave." He then hung up, Klotz said.

"There were two employees in the building at the time of the threat," he added. "Both of them were evacuated."

They were reportedly both taken out of the building via a back entrance. No one was injured.

A bomb-sniffing dog from the Muskingum County Sheriff's Department arrived at the scene shortly before 5 p.m. The dog searched the structure and the property surrounding it but no bomb was found.

During the threat, traffic was re-directed around the restricted area at several different locations. Given the location of the post office, this was no easy task.

Bellaire Police Chief Mike Kovalyk was stationed at the corner of Bennett Street and South Lincoln Avenue directing traffic south on Lincoln from Bennett, which is a one-way street heading east. Traffic was also re-routed onto Hall Street and then onto Dekalb Street before being detoured onto Bennett.

The 100 block of Howard Street was shut down, as was the alley running between Howard and Bennett streets.

North can be reached at knorth@timesleaderonline.com

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web