By KAYLA VAN DYNE
Times Leader Staff Writer
BEALLSVILLE - New Switzerland of Ohio Local School Superintendent John Hall presented his goals for the district at Thursday night's board of education meeting held at Beallsville.
T-L Photo/ KAYLA?VAN?DYNE
New Switzerland of Ohio Superintendent John Hall, left, and board treasurer Lance Erlwein, right, listen as the public speak on issues in the district.
Part of Hall's new plan is to begin holding meetings at schools in the district.
"I have listed on my report what I feel our goals for the district should be," said Hall. "One, we should raise staff morale ... A great team as to have chemistry and it takes time to build that chemistry. Secondly, we need to improve academic achievement and that needs to be evident in our district ... Thirdly, we need to come to some terms with our finances."
Among the multiple speakers at the meeting was Beallsville Athletic Director Delmas Moore, who reported that the athletic transportation for the year has been paid by donations from residents in the community and even a few outisde of the community.
"The community here has really stepped up to help us with buses, I can tell you that tonight, every bus trip for the kids of Beallsville High School and Junior High for the fall sports is paid in full," said Moore. "I really appreciate the board allowing us to have buses, but it did not come easy finding the money to pay for it, but I was concerned about the liability ... Having been a coach for many years myself, a coach has a lot to worry about other then how his kids are going to get to and from the game."
More than 50 percent of the student fees to play sports have been paid with donations as well.
The board approved the following:
- The Monroe County Fair exhibit results.
- An overnight field trip for Swiss Hills Career Center Future Farmers of America to attend the State FFA Camp at Carrollton.
- An overnight field trip for the Swiss Hills Career Center FFA to the National FFA Convention in Kentucky.
- Approved the John Susac Scholarship Fund.
- The oil and gas lease for the land the district owns in Beallsville; The offer came from Gulfport.
- The superintendent to make adjustments in the student handbooks as appropriate based on financial handships of the district.
Van Dyne may be reached at email@example.com.