FRIDAY marks the 70th anniversary of D-Day. It was on June 6, 1944 when Allied forces landed on the beaches of Normandy in what has been called the largest invasion force ever assembled. The battle for the liberation of Europe from Nazi tyranny began. I recall the day very clearly. Everyone in Boydsville had their radios turned on full blast. Some Belmont County boys were in that invasion force, including one from St. Clairsville who was in the first wave. A Bridgeport soldier lost his life when the troops hit the beaches.
That invasion marked the beginning of the end of World War II in Europe.
It was 11 months later when Germany unconditionally surrendered.
May we always remember those who participated in that invasion and in all our battles of World War II.
Let us be forever grateful for their many sacrifices and pray for those who lost their lives.
As one US Congressman said, "we must never forget the bravery and sacrifices of our veterans. They are truly America's heroes
THIS is the weekend for the National Road Wagon Train to pass through Belmont County. On Saturday June 7, between 10 and 10:30 a.m. the train will leave from the home of Becky and Adam Elizeus at 66631 Country Club Road. The train will head north along Belmont 56. It will cross over I-70 and travel to Watson Road.
At 12:30 p.m. the train will arrive at the Cumberland Point Care Center and the t rain participants will be served lunch. Residents will be brought outside to see the horses and wagons.
At 1:30 p.m the wagons will leave the care center and head south to Ohio 331 and turn west onto Ohio University Eastern Camps property. The Great Western School will opens its doors for the day for anyone who wishes to stop and see it. The school is open when the flag is flying, probably between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
At 4 p.m the train will be at the Belmont County Saddle Club where a pot luck supper for wagon train participants will be held. Meat will be provided by the Belmont County Tourism Council. The wagon train will camp there for the night.
On Sunday, June 8, the Belmont Council Tourism Council will provide donuts to the wagon train participants. Anyone wishing to take part in the buffet breakfast can bring eggs, etc.
At 9:30 a.m the train will leave the Saddle Club, go to Pancoast Road, head south and turn to Muller Road, pass through the Feisley Tree Farm en route to Barkcamp State Park. At 11 a.m the train plans to stop at the Old Barn for a short break and at noon the wagons will pull out and head to Ohio 149, turning north to Morristown. At 1 p.m. the train will arrive at the Lynn Hunkler Memorial Park . The Morristown Historic Preservation Association invites the community to a covered dish luncheon with the wagon train.
Other activities are planned as a Community Day will be held and the public is invited. A 12:30 p.m. there will be the dedication of the Veterans' Board, and from 1-4 p.m there will be music by the National Pike Pickers . There will also be inflatable amusements. At 2:30 p.m the train will leave Morristown and head towards the Belmont County Saddle Club where the ride will end. For more information on the train, call the tourism council at (740) 695-4359 or 1-800-356-5082 or Dick or Patty Gummere at (740) 695-4313.
THE Atlantic Hurricane Season begins today, June 1. and the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration predicts a near normal or below normal 2014 season. El Nino is expected to develop and suppress the number and intensity of tropical cyclones. The outlook calls for a 50 percent chance of a below normal season,a 40 percent chance of a near normal season and only a 10 percent chance of an above normal season. For the six months hurricane season,the NOAA predicts a 70 percent likelihood of 8 to 13 named storms of which 3 to 6 could become hurricanes and 1 to 2 major hurricanes .
Kathryn Sullivan, Ph.D, NOAA administrator said "...even though we expect El Nino to suppress the number of storms this season, it is important to remember that it takes only one land falling storm to cause a disaster."
In recent years, our Ohio Valley has been hit several times with remnants of some hurricanes. Let us pray and hope that mother nature will be kind and we will be spared of destructive winds and rains.
THE Master Gardeners of Belmont County will hold their 15th Annual Plant Swap on Tuesday,June 3, at the Child Study Shelter at the St. Clairsville-Richland Memorial Park. Anyone who has extra plants to share are asked to pot or bag them and bring them to the Plant Swap. All plants, whether they are herbs, flowers, vegetables, trees, house plants, should be labeled with name, color , height sun or shade.
There will be speakers who will talk on educational topics regarding plants and gardening. There is no admission charge, but there is a dollar event planned for the first time with garden prizes.
All local garden clubs and the public are invited to attend.
FAITH In Action Caregivers released their 2013 Annual report which showed 243 volunteers giving 15,410 hours of free services to neighbors. In addition , the agency had 58 young volunteers help with spring and fall cleaning projects in apartment buildings.
The mission of the agency is to support the independent living of older adults and people with disabilities through the shared ministry of faith communities in Ohio and Marshall Counties in West Virginia and Belmont County in Ohio.
To make a donation or to volunteer your time and talents, contact the agency which is located at 38 N. Fourth St., Martins Ferry, Ohio, 43935. The phone number is (304) 243-5420.
ON Saturday, the Martins Ferry Lions Club will hold a Yard Sale in The Park from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can reserve a 12 x 12 spot for $10 by calling (740) 633-8928
THE Somerton United Methodist Church will have an ice cream social on Saturday, June 7, from 11 a.m 6 p.m at the Somerton Park. There will horseshoe pitching silent auction for a pew from the church, raffle items, singing. games, country store and food. Proceeds will benefit the rebuilding of the church.
THE All American Days Festival will be held in the Bellaire Historical Park on Thursday, Friday and Saturday June 5-7. There will be numerous activities for everyone including crafters, food, carnival rides, bingo, a Super Sale and sidewalk sales. The Mike McFarland Memorial 5K Race will be held and the Ohio Valley Farmers' Market will be open. On Saturday, from 1-5 p.m. there will be a Car and Motorcycle Cruise In.
THE Wolfhurst Volunteer Fire Department will hold its annual Chicken Barbeque on Sunday July 27 at the firehouse at 55485 Brand Ave., from 11 a.m. until they are sold it. There will also be a 50-50 drawing. A whole chicken cost $6.50, and a dinner including half a chicken, baked potato, green beans, rolls and salad cost $7. There will be eat-in or carry-out and delivery for orders of five or more.
THERE was some good news posted on the sign board at Ebberts Farm Market on National Road east of St. Clairsville. The message said the corn and tomatoes are growing and the market will open sometime in July.